Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Peppermint Aero Chocolate Cupcakes

My favorite type of chocolate is anything with mint - peppermint aero being my top choice.  I have been thinking about doing a mint chocolate cupcake for a while and finally got around to it this weekend.  I knew that I would have to incorporate some aero chunks into these cupcakes to make them just right.  I did a basic chocolate fudge cake (with chopped up pieces of aero bar added) and a mint buttercream icing.  The consistency of the frosting wasnt as thick as I would have liked it for piping but it tasted great!   

Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour unsifted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup butter or margarine room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted
  • *optional* 2 1/2 aero chocolate bars chopped and folded into mix
Mint Buttercream Frosting
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 4-5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon all natural peppermint extract
Beat the butter until creamy, scrape bowl, add 4 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint extract, beat until combined.  Add more powdered sugar as needed to get piping consistency.

I doubled this recipe and my mixer was on the verge of over flowing.  If you are worried that this frosting will not be enough its plenty for two dozen cupcakes.  By the time my frosting was done I probably had 10x the amount of peppermint extract and I still didn't find it that strong.  I suggest atleast doubling what the recipe calls for and doing some taste tests to get it right.


1 comment:

  1. Hello! We LOVE this image and would like to feature it in an article on our site. Please get in touch for more details - editorial.homemade@gravityroad.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Followers